This yellow brick bank stands on the site of what was originally the first cabin on the Green. That cabin was owned by Joab Hoisington, who used his cabin not only as his own dwelling house but also as a tavern to take in travelers who were passing through Woodstock.
Eventually, that cabin was torn down and replaced with a gracious Greek Revival style home, called the Churchill House, which doubled as a millinery shop. In 1901, the Churchill House, in turn, was removed to build this bank.
For more information, contact the Woodstock History Center.
Find the People's United Bank on this map of Woodstock.