The Woodstock Historical Society was founded in February, 1942 by a group of local residents led by Judge Ernest Spear.
The group incorporated in November 1943, adopting its first official statement of purpose and by-laws. In that same year, the organization acquired a superb Federal house, up-for-sale, to serve as the organization's museum building. Built in 1807 by Charles Dana, a prosperous local dry goods merchant, the fine Federal style house on Elm Street had remained in the Dana family since its creation. Located in the center of town, the structure offered an excellent choice for a museum building and was in prime condition. Accordingly, the Society purchased the property from the Dana Family. In 2017, the WHS officially changed its name to Woodstock History Center.
Find the History Center on this map of Woodstock.